I was watching a waterfall and noticed piles of rocks at the base of the falls. These rocks didn't appear to move. Rather, the water was splashed by them as it fell. But, they weren't always so solid. At one time the rocks fell from the land the water was rushing over. Then the small particles of sand and silt were washed away. The pebbles and small stones were moved downstream by the fast waters. Only the unmovable rocks remained. I'm sure they still move a small amount from time to time. The falling water is relentless in its pressure. It is such a slow movement that it probably cannot be seen while watching.
The thought came into my mind that I am like the rocks. There are a number of superfluous parts of my life that have been "washed" away. The small things, little irritants, that used to concern me, are no longer present. I am looking at my life to find what the rocks are. What has fallen from what was once a firm part of my life, yet remains? Are there things that I cling to so forcefully that they cannot be moved? One of the most important questions that arose was, "What is pushing on my rocks, like the water over a falls?
No comments:
Post a Comment