Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Make a Difference

Yesterday evening we took a bicycle ride and had a light discussion of politics.  I was lamenting the fact that little could be done to make a difference in what city government does.  My fellow rider pointed out that he had measured roads, posted the lane widths online, and government officials used the numbers to write part of their proposed transportation plan.  He also mentioned that contractors are the only reason the bicycle racks he initiated, and city government approved, are not installed.  I had to admit that one person has made a difference.  Perhaps I should try harder to make my difference with city government.

What does it take to make a difference?  Does one just gather information and keep presenting it?  I've received promises from people in office, but the promises do not seem to be kept.  It might be I didn't wait long enough.  I have written letters, spoken in meetings, sent comments to the newspaper, and talked with representatives.  Can't see that I have accomplished anything other than exercising my rights.  As I said during the ride, "I'm a better mechanic than I am an advocate."  It was suggested I make efforts to utilize my strengths.  I can put together presentations, I'm at least a satisfactory teacher, and I have both written and verbal communication skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment