I was living, in my tent, with rumpled clothes pulled from a bag. Then I was thrust into a place where it was important enough for clothes to look nice that they provided an iron and ironing board hanging on the wall.
The change from my normal routine to camping is relatively easy. I shead complexity for simplicity; closets and drawers full of stuff, for a bag full of only what I feel is necessary. My tent cleaning involves taking everything out, holding it upside down, and shaking dirt from the inside. My bed is rolled up and stuffed in a sack. "Home" is taken down and put into its own bag.
Transition back into civilization, from a camping life style, is more difficult. The need for clean clothes and a shaven face are the first few differences I encounter. Each day the bed must be made, clothes washed and folded, cleaned dishes put in cabinets, floors vacuumed, and so much more. There are more interactions between people that I must deal with. More routines are associated with civilization than with camping.
Some find the transitions easier than others. Taking on the additional routines and demands for attention and time is a difficult process for those who prefer simplicity. Others are comfortable with what they consider the necessities of civilization. So, which should we strive for, simplicity or civilization?
No comments:
Post a Comment