Monday, October 17, 2011

Petoskey thoughts

I'm going to post some observations and thoughts from recent Adventure Cycling Association tours. In Petoskey, Michigan there were some terrific bicycle/pedestrian paths. On one there was a sign I had never seen on a bicycle path. It said, "Walk Your Bike." There was a steep downhill after the sign and for many riders, the sign was appropriate. It was just an interesting sign for a bicycle path.

Folks in the "Roast And Toast" were reviewing news of the day on their electronic tablets. One gentleman mentioned something about, "...our fair share." I thought about this and asked myself, "Who said it has to be fair? Who determines what is fair?" Then the old cliche, "All is fair in love and war," occurred to me. After thinking about the questions for a while I had this thought: "Fair" is another way of saying give me some of what you have that I do not have.

During my stay at the campground, near Petoskey, I found some "Petoskey Stones," per instructions from my wonderful wife. My observations produced these thoughts: The waves lapping the shore were peaceful, and yet sorrowful. Their journey full of energy was ending with a gentle caress of the land they encountered. How much are we like waves; full of water, energy and motion? We too, are driven by a force, like the wind, and moving toward our endings. I wonder what stones we grind up along our shores? Each wave, another bump of grinding, adds to the smoothing of the stones.

I came to the shore to meet you. We watched a solitary bird floating. His was a silent steady motion to the shore. Then, tiny legs bore him along the sands. We recalled bird runnings along the seas, and shared an embrace. We have so many memories together.

No comments:

Post a Comment